Taxes are based on the appraised values placed on residential, industrial, and commercial properties by the Fayette County Assessor of Property. Taxes are calculated per $100 of assessed value multiplied by the current tax rate of $0.4176. This rate is set by the City Commission as part of the annual budget process.
Tax bills are usually mailed out by October of each year and become past due on March 1st. At that time, monthly interest of 1.5% will accrue. Delinquent taxes are presented to Attorney's for collection on March 1st of the following year.
The City does not have a searchable database. Please contact Bev Holloway at 901-853-4830, ext. 3 if you have any questions regarding your property tax bill.
How to Calculate Your Property Tax
Assessment is a percentage of appraisal value:
- Residential 25%
- Commercial 40%
- Industrial 40%
- Personal Property 30%
In the state of Tennessee, residential property is assessed at 25% of its appraised value.
Using a $100,000 residential property as an example: 25% of $100,000 is $25,000
Piperton applies its tax rate to the assessed value in multiples of 100.
The current tax rate is $0.4176 per $100 of assessed value.
To continue the example: $25,000/100 = 250
City of Piperton taxes for the year are: 250 x $0.4176 = $104.40
Property Tax payments for the total amount billed can be made from October through February. Multiple tax bills can be paid with one payment either in person or by mail.
Tax payments shall be made using the following methods:
- Regular mail should be sent to P.O. Box 328, Collierville, TN 38027.
- Lobby or walk-in, located in City Administration office at 3725 Highway 196, Suite B, is open from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Monday through Friday, with exception of designated holidays.
- 24 Hour walk-up depository located at the City Administration Office.
Acceptable Forms of Payment
- Cash (in person only; do not mail cash payment)
- Personal check, cashier's check, or money order, made payable to City of Piperton (there will be a $30 fee for a returned check)
Residents of Piperton also pay Fayette County taxes. Please visit the Fayette County Tax Assessor's website for more information regarding county taxes, including a searchable database that can find property sales data, ownership information on parcels in Piperton and more.